Secret Owl Society (SOS)
In 2022 the APP Ambassador Program got an upgrade creating more ways to help others, network, and have fun.
Welcome to the Secret Owl Society!
If you reached this page looking for assistance with something MAC-related, then we are happy to help you.
and a volunteer or staff member will respond.
If you reached this page because you want to help other MAC members get the most from their membership, then CONGRATULATIONS, you are in the right place!
This page serves as a frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for SOS.
What's the Secret Owl Society?
The Secret Owl Society, or SOS, is a group of volunteers looking to help their organization or other new APP members get the most out of their membership experience. We want to continue to build an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and reinforces the decision to join for new members.
We are looking for volunteers who want to help other members get to know APP: from education and events to networking opportunities or alerts.
Besides being part of a secret society of knowledgeable people, as an SOS member:
- You will get early access to information on new programs and initiatives at APP so that you can help your organization get the most from its membership.
- You will be part of a network of APP members looking to strengthen the APP community by helping others in your organization gain even more value from your APP membership.
- You may get invited to opportunities to pilot test or preview new initiatives before they launch to the full membership.
- You will gain access to the APP Volunteer Lounge at Level Up.
- You will gain access to an exclusive SOS-only community area where you can share best practices, ideas and feedback on the SOS or APP.
- Increases the value of your own APP membership with opportunities for additional professional development and growth through volunteer leadership
- Opportunities to be part of building a new program to support APP members like you
What's more, this volunteer opportunity does not require a set time commitment. You have the flexibility to engage in SOS activities as your schedule allows. There is no cost for a APP member to join the SOS.
It is about members helping members. Period.
The S.O.S. program is designed for busy payments professionals. Your primary role is to share your APP experience, point others to where they can get questions answered, welcome new members into our organization, and encourage more members to engage in APP through volunteering or participating in our community.
S.O.S. members can engage through direct outreach to new members. This might include regular contacts, early mentoring and encouragement to participate in APP, greeting members at APP events, and building awareness of what APP has to offer to both individuals and organizations. Members can also participate in the S.O.S. by crafting short content pieces that explain or introduce a specific APP program or benefit. Nearly anyone can become an S.O.S. member if they are willing and able to contribute toward enhancing the APP experience for new and existing members.
APP seeks to reinforce our culture of being welcoming and inclusive, and knows that we are successful when our members are successful.
The primary goals of the S.O.S. are to:
- Help new members maximize the value of their APP membership.
- Create a welcoming environment and reinforce the decision to join for new members.
- Provide existing members additional networking opportunities and meaningful volunteer experiences.
Success at achieving these goals will result in continued growth and retention of both members and volunteers.
The S.O.S. program will be evaluated based on the number of inquiries to participate, references to the program among members, and the retention and satisfaction rates of members who interact with the S.O.S. as compared to those who do not. Our goal will be to have new members experience at least two interactions with an S.O.S. member in their first 30 days, and at least one interaction each month during a member’s first year.
APP has an open call for members to join the S.O.S. program and will provide a short online application form for potential participants. The Volunteer and Member Engagement Committee will review applications on a monthly basis and help coordinate and guide S.O.S. activities.
An S.O.S. member is ideally someone who has been a member of APP for at least six months and who has attended two or more meetings or events. An Ambassador of the Secret Owl Society (S.O.S.) should be someone who strives to help others feel comfortable, enjoys sharing and gaining knowledge, adheres to APP's Code of Conduct policy, and understands and embraces the value of belonging to APP and its mission.